Wooden Ships Comments on this RNLB Barnett Class
Ex RNLB Barnett Class, designed by James Barnett and built by Groves and Gutteridge of Cowes in 1956/57.
Sympathetically and carefully converted to provide comfortable accommodation making her a very capable, interesting and comfortable cruising motor yacht.
Serving with the RNLI from 1957 – 1986 in Weymouth and Galway Bay, she undertook nearly 400 service launches. She then went on to work for a contractor for Trinity House, servicing navigation marks in the Bristol Channel, before being sold into private ownership for conversion. She was rescued by the current owner lying on a beach in Lowestoft in 2002, no major alterations had been carried out and most of her original gear and equipment was still with the boat. There started a steady and sympathetic conversion to create a practical and comfortable modern motor cruising yacht without losing the patina and history of her past.
The aft cockpit had been opened up giving a comfortable seating area, joined to the newly converted saloon aft of the wheelhouse with a fitted galley, heads and large double berth. The wheelhouse remains largely original with her RNLI wheel and binnacle and access to the large engine room through a water tight door. The forward cabin with separate access through the forehatch has been converted to a large twin berth cabin with separate heads compartment.
On deck she retains all her original features and fittings, including the huge Fishermans anchors used to secure the lifeboat and veer down on a wreck on the rocks, although these are not used they are kept on deck for originality
Her original Gardner 6LW engines are in superb condition and offer very economical cruising.
This is not just an old lifeboat, this is a comfortable cruising motor yacht with a rich history and pedigree, capable of going anywhere and a yacht that will open up a whole new world to her next owners.
Current undercover berth in Dartmouth available on long term basis subject to negotiation with owner of berthing facility.
Length on Deck 52’
Length Overall 52
Length Waterline 49’6”
Double diagonal mahogany planking with a layer of Calico and white lead between. Copper rivet fastened through. Total hull thickness of 1”.
Steamed oak frames of 3” x 1.75” at 10” centres.
Galvanised strap floors across the centreline providing a large amount of stiffness to the hull.
External iron ballast with bronze keel bolts.
Large section beam shelf and bilge stringer. Galvanised hanging knee from the deck in way of every frame.
Deck made from double diagonal mahogany similar to the hull. Finished externally in Treadmaster non-slip deck sheeting.
Rivetted aluminium superstructure to original design, except for aft end which has been cut down to creat an aft cockpit. Decks are clear with wide side decks.
Wooden toe rail all round on galvanised supports. Galvanised stanchions with chain guard lines between.
Heavy duty cast bronze deck fittings including original bronze stemhead fitting.
Wheel steering with rod and gear connection to the rudder. Modern autopilot system.
Twin Gardner 6LW 72hp 6 cylinder diesel engines installed new in 1957.
Gardner gearboxes with single lever Morse controls. Bronze shafts to fixed 3 blade bronze propellers set in tunnels to protect the propellers.
7 knots cruising speed, 9 knots max at 12 litres/hour. Safe working range of 600Nm
Total fuel capacity of 1100 litres in a stainless stank to port and plastic Tek Tank to starboard.
200 litres of fresh water in plastic tanks under the saloon.
4 x 12 volt domestic batteries under forecabin berth. 2 x 12 volt engine start batteries in the engine room.
Charged from engine alternators or through Stirling Power Pro Charge 50 amp 240 volt charger. Installed shore power system. Second stand by charger of 20 amps.
2500 watt petrol generator in the engine room.
2500w Stirling Power inverter running off domestic batteries.
Electric Side Power SP95Ti bow thrusters.
1 manual bilge pump and 2 engine driven bilge pumps.
4 berths including a large double in main saloon and 2 large single berths in forward cabin.
Forward cabin accessed via a riveted aluminium forehatch with steps down. Spacious cabin with a large single berth either side, storage beneath the berths.
Centerline doorway going forward into a large heads compartment with a Jabsco manual sea toilet which discharges directly overboard. Hand basin with manually pumped fresh water.
Side entrance doors into the wheelhouse with central helm position. Watertight door forward into the large engine space.
Centreline steps down aft into main saloon which was converted to current arrangement by the present owner.
Very large double berth, part of which converts into a settee, is set to port and goes in under the wheelhouse sole.
Galley aft port side with a Plastimo Neptune 2500 twin burner stove with oven and grill. Single stainless sink with hot and cold pressurised water plus good work space and storage beneath. Microwave and 12 volt fridge set into joinery on starboard side.
Large amounts of storage space in lockers and drawers around the saloon, cleverly thought out to gain the most from the space.
Steps down to a heads compartment on starboard side under the wheelhouse with a Blakes Lavac sea toilet and hand basin.
Steps and doors going aft out into the aft cockpit with good seating and a canvas cover for poor weather.
Full specification and details available upon request
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.