Wooden Ships Comments on this Admiralty MFV
Built in 1944 for the Admiralty by JJ Lawrence and Co Ltd of Lieth as MFV 625. Sold by the Admiralty into private ownership in 1967, after which she was converted to a yacht in 1974.
The ship served most of her time in the Mediterranean after being deployed to Algiers in 1944 for habrbour duties, servicing the larger warships while in port before heading to Malta. After the war she returned to Plymouth and was used as a training ship for the Sea Cadet Corps.
She has more recently been based in Guernsey and used as a live aboard yacht for which she has proved to be very comfortable. Regular and thorough maintenance has kept her in lovely condition with a thorough refit in 2008 and an overhaul of the machinery in 2005.
2016 survey available.
Length Overall 49’9″
Displacement 26 tons
Planked in Larch fastened with iron nails to sawn Oak frames.
Straight laid Douglas Fir decks, caulked and payed with pitch in the traditional manner. Overlaid with bonded marine plywood which is sheathed externally with glass cloth. Heavy oak deck beams and supporting knees.
Bulwark all round on stanchions mounted through the coverboards with a varnished hardwood capping rail.
Wheelhouse is constructed with a hardwood frame and marine plywood panels. Excellent all round visibility and a sliding door either side
No external ballast keel except for an external steel shoe. Internal lead trimming ballast.
Small bermudan ketch rig with steadying sail.
Varnished wooden masts and booms with stainless steel standing rigging to external chain plates. Masts stripped and varnished in 2015.
Tan terylene sails including mainsail, mizzen and jib.
Foden FD6 MkI installed in 1955. Mechanical 3:1 reduction gearbox with single lever controls to a fixed 3 blade bronze propeller. Engine and gearbox overhauled 2005.
2250 litres of diesel in 2 separate plastic fuel tanks.
454 litres of fresh water in 2 separate plastic water tanks.
Calorifier for hot water run from mani engine or using 240v immersion.
12v and 24v systems with 13 new batteries in 4 banks. Charging from engine alternator or through 240v chargers.
5kva Onan generator in sound proof box. Fully integrated 240v shore power system.
Vetus electric bow thruster.
Wheel steering with cables and emergency tiller.
5 berths in 3 separate sleeping cabins. Twin cabin forward, owners cabin aft with a double berth and single aft crew cabin.
Nicely finished in rich varnished mahogany.
Spacious and light wheelhouse with U-shaped seating around the aft end and a central table.
Steps down from the wheelhouse into the main saloon, door either side at base of steps into the aft quarter cabins. Dinette seating area to port with varnished mahogany saloon table. 2 person settee on the starboard side. 8′ headroom under the main coachroof.
Moving forward with the galley to port. Frigidaire 4 burner gas stove with oven and grill, twin stainless sinks, microwave and LEC fridge. 6′ headroom in the galley.
Heads compartment to starboard opposite the galley with an electric Jabsco sea toilet, hand basin and small bath with shower. Pressurised hot and cold running water.
Forward into forecabin with twin V-berths.
Full specification and details available upon request
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.