Wooden Ships Comments on this 20′ Cornish Tosher
Believed to be a Mevagissey Tosher built around the 1900, however her exact origins are unknown.
Taken on by the previous owners in 2007 as a major project, she was taken to Gweek Quay Boatyard in Cornwall and given a thorough refit, taking way the ugly raised topsides and superstructure. She was completed as an open motor launch with no rig.
The current owners who purchased her in 2012 originally fitted a lug rig, but then had a new gaff cutter rig designed by Ed Burnett and fitted to the boat in 2021.
An attractive open Tosher with recent rig.
Length on Deck 20’
- Planked in pitch pine all copper rivet fastened to steamed oak timbers.
- Sawn oak floors across the centreline. Steel keel bolts through the centreline structure.
- A lead ballast bulb was added either side of the wooden keel. Internal ballast consists of lead shot in rubber tubes and laid in the bilges.
- Open boat with foredeck, side decks and aft deck. All decks are laid in solid Iroko, caulked and payed.
- Small bulwark all round on iroko stanchions with an iroko capping rail. Bronze cleats and fairleads.
- Large midships thwarts with grown lodging knees stiffens the hull.
- Iroko coaming all round the cockpit area.
- Transom hung rudder.
- Gaff cutter rig on a keel stepped varnished spruce mast. All new rig in 2021.
- Varnished spruce boom, gaff yard and bowsprit.
- Stainless steel standing rigging with lanyards to external stainless steel chain plates.
- Running backstays on 4:1 tackles.
- Running rigging in classic braid with modern blocks and fittings.
- Roller furling on staysail and jib.
- Pair of Anderson sheet winches.
- Mainsail, jib staysail and topsail new in 2021 from Sailmakers of Polruan.
- Yanmar 2GM diesel engine. Mechanical gearbox with an offset 3 blade propeller.
- Copper fuel tank under the aft deck.
- Single 12 volt battery charged from the engine alternator.
- Garmin Echomap
- 2 x Rule 500 auto bilge pumps
- Manual bilge pump
- 12 volt battery
- Yanmar2gm diesel engine
- Copper fuel tank
- Danforth anchor with chain and warp
- Mooring warps
- Boom tent/cockpit cover
- 2 x Anderson sheet winches
Wooden Ships classic yachts brokers have an extensive database of boats for sale. With a wide range of sailboats, classic yachts, motor yachts and small classic boats, Wooden Ships has one of the largest selections of traditional wooden boats and yachts for sale in the UK.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.