Wooden Ships Comments on this Abeking & Rasmussen Bermudan Yawl
40’ Abeking & Rasmussen Bermudan yawl built by A&R in 1919 to a design by Henry Rasmussen.
A beautiful yacht from the early years of the famous German yard, built just 7 years after the yard was founded and probably one of the first boats built after the end of WWI.
Owned for more than 60 years by a syndicate group which has enabled the boat to be sailed regularly and maintained by an enthusiastic group of owners and friends.
This is a very elegant pedigree yacht that could continue to be sailed as she has been for the last 60 years, but would also make a very good basis for a major refit, putting her back to the original flush deck arrangement with gaff yawl rig.
In 2006 she had a major professional refit at Gweek Quay Boatyard, Cornwall where nearly 50% of the planking was replaced using pitch pine. The majority of the original iron frames were renewed with steel angle iron and new galvanised bolts. The keel was removed and rebedded with new wrought iron bolts.
New Beta 30hp engine in 2011 and new mizzen mast in 2020.
Length on Deck 40’
Length overall 42’
Length Waterline 28’
Displacement 9 tonnes
- Carvel planked in Pitch Pine. 50% of the planking was replaced in 2006 using pitch pine.
- The frames are angle iron fastened to the planking with galvanised bolts. The majority of these frames were new in 2006 with new bolts.
- Intermediate steamed oak timbers fastened with copper rivets.
- Steel plate floors across the centreline on each of the angle iron frames.
- External iron ballast keel fastened with wrought iron bolts that were forged new in 2006. She has a couple of stainless steel keel bolts at the forrard end.
- Straight laid hardwood deck over a marine plywood sub deck. Mahogany toe rails and rubbing strakes.
- Teak coachroof coamings with epoxy sheathed plywood coachroof deck.
- Self draining cockpit with tiller steering
- Bermudan yawl rig on deck stepped varnished wooden masts.
- Solid wooden mainmast with twin spreaders.
- Mizzen mast new in 2020 from Noble Spars.
- Stainless steel standing rigging of varying age to internal chain plates of galvanise and stainless.
- Mainmast running backstays on bronze levers.
- Pair of Gibb Sheetmaster non-self tailing sheet winches.
- Sails from Lucas in 2015 include mainsail, mizzen, staysail, No.1 jib, No.2 jib. Mizzen staysail older.
- Beta Marine B30 3cyl 30hp diesel engine installed new in 2011.
- Centreline fixed 3 blade bronze propeller.
- 30 gallon plastic fuel tank under the cockpit sole.
- 2 x 12 volt batteries charged from the engine alternator.
- Shore power system with 240 volt battery charger.
- 1 x manual bilge pump and 1 x auto electric bilge pump.
- 6 single berths with 6’ headroom in the saloon.
- Steps down from the companion hatch with a quarter berth either side.
- Galley to starboard and chart desk to port.
- Galley has a Plastimo Voyage 2 burner gas stove with oven and grill. Single stainless sink with pressurised cold water.
- Bulkhead into the main saloon with a settee berth either side. Hull sides panelled out in ash. Centreline dropleaf saloon table. Pipe cot berth under the side deck either side.
- Bulkhead at forward end with original panelled teak door into the forepeak.
- Heads to port is a Lavac sea toilet which discharges directly overboard. Stainless hand basin to starboard.
- Forpeak is given over totally to storage for sails, fenders, outboard etc. Forehatch above.
- Plastimo steering compass
- B&G depth sounder
- Trailing log
- Garmin 128
- ICOM IC_M421 DSC VHF
- Plastimo 4 person liferaft, needs service
- 35lb CQR anchor
- 8m of 3/8” chain +25m of 1” warp
- Fishermans anchor
- Mainsail 2015 Lucas Sails
- Mizzen 2015 Lucas Sails
- Staysail 2015 Lucas Sails
- No.1 Jib 2015 Lucas Sails
- No.2 Jib 2015 Lucas Sails
- Mizzen staysail: Older and in poor condition
- Gibb cockpit sheet winches
- Mainsail cover
- Mizzen cover
- Cockpit cushions
- Skylight covers and hatch covers
- Tohatsu 3.5hp outboard engine
Wooden Ships classic yachts brokers have an extensive database of boats for sale. With a wide range of sailboats, classic yachts, motor yachts and small classic boats, Wooden Ships has one of the largest selections of traditional wooden boats and yachts for sale in the UK.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.