Alan Buchanan 27ft yacht for sale – project boat
Alan Buchanan East Anglian Mk2 Sloop
This is a classic Alan Buchanan East Anglian wooden racing yacht built in 1963. A 27 ft yacht MK2 design built by Dixon and Kerley on the East coast. With many passages to race in the Temps fête sur Douarnenez and then in 2012 to Brest Fête Maritime Internationale, this vessel has had many racing hours under her belt.
These East Anglian designs were relatively light built for the size. Bermudan rig with sails to match, Douglas fir spars and roller furling system. A mahogany on oak framed construction, timber deck beams throughout and marine ply coach rooftop.
This yacht is currently being restored by the current owner, a boatbuilder having already completed extensive repairs and maintenance to the superstructure and interior layout. An interesting project boat for someone to take on with free reign to design a layout to suit. Oak and Sweet Chestnut timbers ready planed is included in the sale along with various original items recovered from the restoration.
Currently moored in Flushing, Cornwall, the owner purchased the boat from a close friend and fellow boat builder in 2021. A beautiful-looking boat in fair condition with a detailed list of professional work done in recent years. Drawings also provided with particulars.
Length on Deck 27’ 9”
Length Waterline 21’
Thames Tonnage 7TM
Recent Refit Work
– Coachroof repaired and reconstructed
– Removed and replaced fwd deck beams
– Removed and replaced fwd corner posts
– Removed and replaced exterior coachroof trim
– Removed and redesigned anchor chain locker
– Horse pipe adjusted and moved deck positioning
– Removed and redesigned full V berth
– Fwd Port side beam shelf scarph repair and through fastenings
– Deck beam tenon repairs
– Coachroof interior/exterior side repairs
– Removed and replaced hatch surround and hatch lid
– Machined timber for fit out (Oak/Sweet Chestnut/Meranti)
– Oak 12’ x 12” x ¾” (x3)
– Sweet Chesnut 12’ x 12” x ¾” (x4)
– Meranti 5’ x 2” x 1” (x15)
– Various original mahogany timbers salvaged throughout restoration
– Removed and replaced bolts, rebedded stanchion bases
– Renewed interior brightworks
– Topsides repainted and hull antifouled
– Removed and rebedded grab rails
– Keel and fixings maintained with galvafroid
– All new acrylic windows sealed and exterior surrounds refitted
– New full foam mattress for V berth if wanted
– Bow roller, bottle screws and rigging serviced
– Engine service
– Electrical checks and solar panel unit fitted
– Currently new cockpit teak laid sole boards being remade
- Planked in mahogany copper rivet fastened to steamed oak frames.
- Long external iron ballast keel and internal lead ballast. Galvanised keel bolts.
- Solid yacht laid teak laid decks with a varnished mahogany covering board. Varnished mahogany toe rail all round. Decks finished with Coelan.
- Varnished mahogany coachroof coamings with a sheathed plywood coachroof deck. Forward coaming and forehatch new.
- Aft cockpit with varnished thwart lids.
- Tiller steering to a transom hung rudder.
- 7/8 fractional bermudan sloop rig on a keel stepped varnished spruce mast and spruce slab reefing boom.
- Galvanised wire standing rigging to internal stainless steel chain plates.
- Genoa roller reefing system.
- 3 sails including jib and mainsail.
- Pair of Harken 16 self tailing cockpit sheet winches.
- Pair of bronze non-self tailing mast winches
- Vetus 20hp 3cyl diesel inboard engine installed new in 1987. First used 1988. Fresh water cooled engine.
- Shaft drive to a centreline fixed 3 blade propeller. Cruising speed under engine of 5 knots.
- 4 berth interior, 2 bunks in saloon and V-berth to the bow. Full standing head room in living quarters.
- The interior has been largely removed and the owner has made plans to refit it. Much timber has been machined ready for this work, but the next owner may choose a different layout and design if desired.
- Sestrel compass
- Autohelm 1000 autopilot
- Seafarer 501 echo sounder
- nav lights and steaming lights
- Other instruments requiring checks
- Heavy winter canvas cover
- Mast, boom and rigging
- Roller furling headsail system
- Harken 16 self tailing cockpit sheet winches
- Pair of bronze non-self tailing mast winches
- 35lb CQR anchor and chain
- Vetus 20hp diesel engine
- Machined timber ready for interior refit
Some other Alan Buchanan classic yachts for sale:
Wooden Ships classic yachts brokers have an extensive database of boats for sale. With a wide range of sailboats, classic yachts, motor yachts and small classic boats, Wooden Ships has one of the largest selections of traditional wooden boats and yachts for sale in the UK.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.