27’ clinker rowing skiff built by either Salters or Eton in the 1920’s for Shrewsbury School and the house of Severn Hill in particular. The house colours of maroon and French gray are used throughout the boat and her components.
Found about 30 years ago by the present retired boat builder in a very poor state and close to being put on the bonfire. Rebuilt to a very high standard but retaining as much of the original structure as possible. The planking and centreline are original but 50% of the frames and floors have been renewed and the whole boat finished in gloss varnish inside and out.
She comes with a specialist trailer or ‘mobile boathouse’, previously used for transporting a glider. This extraordinary trailer houses the boat and keeps her completely dry and safe, making for very easy transport and storage. The boat and trailer weigh less than 750kg so are easily towed behind most cars.
The trailer has racking for carrying the oars, tools and spares. A trolley system inside the trailer makes it a simple affair to take the boat in and out. The boat also has a custom made wooden trolley to move the boat around on when she is out of the trailer. This trolley means she can be easily launched on a slipway if needed.
A totally unique set up that is ready to tow away and use. A real piece of history, lovingly restored and all in superb condition. Will be on show at the Thames Traditional Boat Festival in July 2023.
Beam over outriggers 5’
- Clinker planked in Honduras mahogany copper rivet fastened through the plank lands.
- Sawn oak frames fitted to the hull and bronze screw fastened in place.
- Sawn oak floors across the centreline fastened with bronze screws.
- Oak centreline structure.
- 2 rowing positions with mahogany thwarts that support a sliding seat for each rower. The seats are carved from solid timber and run on small metal wheels on tracks. Can be rowed in a fixed seat arrangement.
- Each rowing position has a stretcher board of solid varnished mahogany with leather foot straps.
- Coxs seat aft with a varnished mahogany base and wrought iron back rest.
- Metal outriggers carry modern gates for the oars.
- Oak rudder with tiller lines for helming.
- Varnished wooden bottom boards throughout.
- 2 pairs of varnished wooden sculls and 1 pairs of sweep type oars.
- Fibreglass road trailer/storage house
- Pair of sweep type oars
- 2 pairs of sculls
- Outriggers with gates
- Self bailer
- Manual bilge pump
- 2 x folding trestles
- Trolley for moving boat
- Bottom sole boards
- Mooring lines
- 4 x fenders
- Large sausage fender for launching/recovery
- 2 x sliding seats
- Cox seat arrangement
Wooden Ships classic yachts brokers have an extensive database of boats for sale. With a wide range of sailboats, classic yachts, motor yachts and small classic boats, Wooden Ships has one of the largest selections of traditional wooden boats and yachts for sale in the UK.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.