Wooden Ships Comments on this Danish Haikutter Gaff Ketch
Danish Haikutter built by Carstensen & Hinrichsen of Skagen, Denmark in 1924.
Traditional Danish fishing boat design with an elliptical counter, exaggerated sheer line and bluff bow.
Rebuilt and converted in 1990 then in 2018 she had professional work including a new stem and 100m of planking around the bows plus many new frames.
A regular site in the Baltic and Northern Germany, this is a well known and well respected sailing vessel.
Length on Deck 58’3” / 17.75m
Beam 15’3” / 4.65m
Draft 7’3” / 2.2m
- Heavily built with oak planking on sawn oak frames.
- Fastened with galvanised boat nails in the traditional manner.
- Concrete ballast in the bilges.
- Straight laid pine deck, caulked and payed with pitch. Oak covering boards.
- Bulwark all round on oak stanchions mounted through the covering board. Guard rails above the capping on galvanised stanchions.
- Deck hatches made from oak. Aft coachroof deck made from solid straight laid pine, caulked and payed.
- Gaff ketch rig on keel stepped solid pine masts. Main mast new in 2010.
- Solid pine booms, gaffs and bowsprit.
- Galvanised wire standing rigging to external galvanised chain plates. Rigging new in approximately 1990
- Sails of Duradon include mizzen, mainsail, main topsail, staysail and jib.
- Mainsail and staysail new 2013. Topsail 2016. Mizzen and jib approximately 1990.
- All traditional 3 strand running rigging and wooden blocks.
- Cummins NT-380-M 6cyl diesel engine installed new in approximately 1980. The engine is de-rated and known as the heavy duty version with approximately 280hp.
- Twin disc gearbox to a 2 blade Hundested variable pitch propeller. Gives 8 knots cruising speed.
- 2000 litres of diesel in 2 x 1000l stainless steel fuel tanks in the engine room.
- 24 volt electrical systems. 2 x 12 volt 180ah batteries for engine start. 2 x 12 volt 230ah batteries for domestic systems. All batteries new in 2023.
- 850 litres of fresh water in 2 separate stainless steel tanks.
- 12 single berths in 3 cabins.
- Aft hatch into the aft cabin from where there is access to the engine room. Aft cabin is currently just storage but could be used for 2 single berths.
- Midships hatch into the saloon which has a central table with bench seating either side. Outboard are 2 single berths either side and a lounging settee forward.
- Forward area of saloon cabin is the galley with a 4 burner gas oven, 12 volt fridge and ample storage lockers.
- Moving forward into the midships cabin which has 4 single berths and a Reflex diesel cabin heater. The Reflex runs hot water to various radiators around the ship.
- Forecabin accessed from midships cabin or from the forehatch has 4 single berths.
Wooden Ships classic yachts brokers have an extensive database of boats for sale. With a wide range of sailboats, classic yachts, motor yachts and small classic boats, Wooden Ships has one of the largest selections of traditional wooden boats and yachts for sale in the UK.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.