Wooden Ships Comments on this Iain Oughtred Grey Seal
Iain Oughtred Grey Seal professionally built by Christopher Dawson of Scoraig near Ullapool. Launched in 1997.
Classic Boat magazine article from 1998 detailing the build and launch.
The Grey Seal is one of Oughtreds larger designs, a capable cruising yacht. It is said that this is the only one of Oughtreds boats that is truly designed for open water sailing in every sense. The design had options for centreboard or full keel. This boat is a centreboard version which gives her very shallow draft and all the benefits of that. She has beaching legs enabling her to dry out and take the ground easily.
Built for the current owners and launched in Little Loch Broom, she has sailed the west coast of Scotland and explored most of the lochs and islands in the area. In 2007 she cruised the NE Scottish coast in company with other traditional and historic vessels.
Laid up ashore under cover a number of years ago, the family are reluctant to sell but realise they cannot keep her forever without using the boat properly.
She comes with a Snipe road trailer which has been recently serviced so the trailer is ready for a journey. Total towing weight on the trailer is approximately 2.5 tons.
A really unusual and very special boat, in need of some refit work but recently built and basically sound.
Length on deck 22’1”
Draft 2’3” plate up
Sail area 265sqft
- Clinker planked in larch all copper rivet fastened to steam bent oak timbers.
- Sawn oak floors Across the centreline.
- External lead ballast keel with stainless steel keel bolts, all new in 1997.
- Steel lifting centreplate.
- Decks of marine plywood, painted externally and laid on pine deck beams.
- Varnished elm coamings with a painted plywood coachroof deck.
- Self draining cockpit made from painted plywood.
- Tiller steering with a stern post hung rudder.
- Gunter sloop rig on a deck stepped hollow spruce mast.
- Varnished spruce boom and gunter yard.
- Stainless steel standing rigging new in 1997 to internal stainless steel chain plates.
- Mainsail and headsail from Nicholson Hughes in good condition. Total sail area of 265sqft.
- Roller furling headsail system.
- Fitted originally with a Watermota Sea Cub MkII 7hp single cylinder diesel engine.
- This engine suffered damage and has been removed from the boat and will need replacing. Or rebuilding. Alternatively an outboard engine could be fitted.
- Variable pitch 3 blade bronze propeller with associated stern tube and variable pitch controls.
- Integral sheathed plywood fuel tank in the stern locker.
- Space for a single 12 volt battery in the engine compartment
- 1 x manual bilge pump. 1 x auto electric bilge pump.
- 3 berths with sitting headroom. Saloon berths convert to a large double.
- Steps down into the cabin with a single berth to port and a smaller settee to starboard, both with storage space beneath.
- Galley area in the aft starboard corner. Space for a galley stove if desired. Washing up bowl previously used as a sink. Manual hand pump in the cockpit locker linked to portable water jerry cans (not supplied) that stow in the cockpit locker.
- Saloon table swivels round to form a chart table with chart storage within. The table can then be dropped down between the bunks to create a large double berth.
- Plywood sole boards throughout.
- Vertical compression posts doubling up as grab rails at forward end of the coachroof.
- In the bows is a single berth to starboard. Bunk boards are split to allow a bucket sea toilet to fit below the bunk.
- Steering compass
- NASA Marine sounder
- Simrad 1200 VHF
- Masthead navigation lights
- Life buoy
- Manual bilge pump
- Auto electric bilge pump
- 9kg plough anchor
- 15m of chain with approx. 15m of warp
- Fluke kedge anchor
- Roller furling headsail system
- Standing and running rigging
- Snipe road trailer, serviced November 2023.
- Bunk and berth cushions
- Beaching legs
Wooden Ships classic yachts brokers have an extensive database of boats for sale. With a wide range of sailboats, classic yachts, motor yachts and small classic boats, Wooden Ships has one of the largest selections of traditional wooden boats and yachts for sale in the UK.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.