Wooden Ships Comments on this Harrison Butler Pepin Design
Harrison Butler Pepin design built by Walton Yacht and Launch Works in 1936.
This is the only example ever built of this particular Harrison Butler design and is the old boat he designed with a Loch Fyne Skiff style stern.
Professionally rebuilt between 2010 and 2016 where the following work was carried out:
Ballast keel removed and rebedded
New stainless keel bolts
New stainless strap floors
Various ribs repaired or sistered
Hull planking repaired, faired and splined then sheathed in epoxy glass cloth
New interior fitted
New Yanmar engine with new battery and all systems
New Taylors stove fitted
New water tanks fitted
Teak decks caulked and payed
New sails and rigging
New covers and upholstery
The boat has just had a spring refit with new paint work inside and out to prepare her for the coming season.
A real pedigree yacht with a well document recent history.
Length on Deck 22’2”
Length Overall 26’
Length Waterline 19’
- Carvel planked in larch all copper rivet fastened to steam bent oak timbers.
- The hull seams were splined, any damaged ribes were repaired or sistered up and the hull was sheathed externally in epoxy glass cloth. This decision was taken to make her a low maintenance boat for the years to come, not because of damaged or rotten planking that needed stabilising.
- External iron ballast keel that was removed and redbedded during the refit. New Stainless steel keel bolts fitted.
- New fabricated stainless steel strap floors across the centreline.
- Straight laid solid teak deck, re-caulked and re-payed during the refit. Varnished teak toe rails and rubbing strakes all round.
- Original coachroof with elegant lines. Varnished teak coachroof coamings with 3 bronze portlights per side.
- Non- self draining cockpit with varnished teak thwarts and a scrubbed teak cockpit sole.
- Stern post hung rudder with tiller steering.
- Bermudan cutter rig on a keel stepped Columbian pine mast.
- Columbian pine roller furling boom.
- Stainless steel standing rigging to external stainless steel chain plates. Chain plates all new in 2010. New standing rigging in 2018.
- Running backstays on bronze Highfield levers.
- Running rigging mostly new in 2007.
- Mainsail, staysail and jib new from Christopher Scanes in 2010. All made from tan Dacron.
- Yanmar 1GM10 9hp diesel engine installed new in 2009.
- Stainless steel shaft to a starboard offset Darglow Featherstream 3 blade propeller. Gives 4.5 knots cruising speed, 6 knots max speed.
- 27 litre stainless steel fuel tank.
- 1 x 12 volt 110ah battery charged by the engine alternator.
- 2 berths with sitting headroom.
- The interior was renewed in the refit and is made from solid teak throughout.
- Steps down from the companion hatch with the galley to starboard and a chart desk area to port.
- The galley has a Taylors 028 2 burner paraffin stove, new in 2011. Single stainless sink with manually pumped fresh water.
- The chart area can also be used for galley prep, it has a lift up top to access storage space below.
- 2 single settee berths in the main cabin with comfortable sitting headroom.
- Forward is given over to storage and anchor chain with ample space to stow sails, fenders, warps etc that are not in use.
- Steering compass
- Navigation lights
- Clock and barometer
- Bunk and berth cushions
- Taylors 028 stove with tank
- 2 x Cabin oil lamps
- Interior lights
- 15lb Danforth anchor
- 10lb fishermans anchor
- 60’ 5/16” chain
- 20lb angel
- Cockpit cover
- Winter cover with alloy frame
- Ensign and staff
- Mainsail by Christopher Scanes, 2010, very good condition
- Staysail by Christopher Scanes, 2010, very good condition
- Jib by Christopher Scanes, 2010, very good condition
- Mainsail cover
- Yanmar 1GM10 engine
- 1 x 12 volt battery
- Darglow Featherstream propeller
- Manual bilge pump
- Auto electric bilge pump
- Stainless steel stanchions and guard wires
Wooden Ships classic yachts brokers have an extensive database of boats for sale. With a wide range of sailboats, classic yachts, motor yachts and small classic boats, Wooden Ships has one of the largest selections of traditional wooden boats and yachts for sale in the UK.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.