Wooden Ships Comments on this Norfolk Oyster Sailing Dinghy
Norfolk Oyster sailing dinghy designed by John Leather in 1959. Professionally built for the current owner on licence from the designer, full signed plans are included with the sale.
Built by a Suffolk shipwright over a number of years and finished to a very good standard for the current owner.
Since completion the boat has been used for a 10 day holiday in Cornwall and kept ashore undercover ever since so could be considered in nearly new condition.
The boat is complete with rig, sails, cover and road trailer. This is an excellent and very capable dinghy with space for 4 adults and able to take a bit of weather, ideal for dinghy cruising/exploring. With a break back road trailer she is also pretty easy to launch and retrieve single handed on the right slipway.
Very smart and very elegant dinghy for sensible money.
Length on Deck 16’ 9”
Length Waterline 15’4”
Draft 9”/3/9” plate down
- Clinker planked in larch planking. All copper rivet fastened to steam bent oak timbers.
- Each of the planks are epoxy bonded together as well as being riveted for a proper ‘belt and braces’ job. This stops the planks drying and opening up with consequential leaking issues.
- Oak stem, keel and transom.
- Oak gunwhales and rubbing strake.
- Iroko thwarts with laminated hanging knees.
- Slatted iroko sole boards built in small sections so they can be easily removed.
- Wooden centreboard casing with a galvanised centreplate.
- Transom hung rudder with bronze hangings. Galvanised drop plate rudder.
- Bronze fairleads and other deck fittings.
- Outboard bracket on the transom.
- The hull and spars were coated with thinned West system epoxy prior to over coating with paint and varnish.
- Gunter sloop rig on varnished spruce spars.
- All bronze mast fittings.
- Main mast sits in an iroko tabernacle so that the mast can hinged up single handed.
- Stainless steel standing rigging to small bronze chain plates.
- Headsail on a Wyckham Martin bronze roller furling system to the stemhead.
- Mainsail and headsail by Jeckells, both in excellent condition.
- Mainsail sheets to a bronze horse across the transom.
- Headsail sheets come through neat bronze turning blocks on small tracks fixed to the gunwhales.
- Breakback Snipe road trailer
- All over cover
- Pair of oars and bronze rowlocks
- Headsail with Wyckham Martin bronze roller furling system
- All running and standing rigging
- Rudder and tiller
- Pair of buoyancy bags
Wooden Ships classic yachts brokers have an extensive database of boats for sale. With a wide range of sailboats, classic yachts, motor yachts and small classic boats, Wooden Ships has one of the largest selections of traditional wooden boats and yachts for sale in the UK.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.