Wooden Ships Comments on this Mears of Seaton Clinker Motor Launch
Built by Paul Mears of Seaton in 2008 to a traditional Beer lugger design. The Beer luggers have been used as local fishing boats for many years, launched and retrieved from the beach with large winches and wooden rollers. Because of this they are built very robustly and have a very conspicuous shape to the hull with high freeboard, a sharp turn to the bilge for stability and small bilge keels to keep them upright on the beach.
Originally built with a lug yawl rig. The rig was removed by the present owner and she has been used simply as an open motor launch, but all the fittings are in place to take a rig if that was desired.
This is a very stable and spacious boat for her size, capable of coastal passages and with space for a good number of people.
Length on Deck 18’
- Planked in Elm all copper rivet fastened to steam bent oak timbers.
- A single large sawn oak frame just forward of the engine gives stiffness to the hull, this is common to Mears boats and is known as a drop knee.
- Heavy gunnels of oak and mahogany, fastened right through with large copper rivets.
- Small foredeck and aft deck of straight laid mahogany.
- Fore and aft thwarts are set deep in the hull giving good shelter to the occupants.
- Transom hung rudder on specially designed stainless pintles so it can be lifted when the boat dries out.
- Yanmar 1GM10 single cylinder raw water cooled diesel installed new in 2008.
- Single lever control with a centreline stainless shaft and 3 blade bronze propeller.
- 30l stainless tank under the aft deck.
- Single 12 volt 80ah battery from the engine alternator. New 2023.
- Manual bilge pump
- Auto electric bilge pump
- Oars and rowlocks
- Danforth anchor with chain and warp
- All over heavy duty cover
Wooden Ships classic yachts brokers have an extensive database of boats for sale. With a wide range of sailboats, classic yachts, motor yachts and small classic boats, Wooden Ships has one of the largest selections of traditional wooden boats and yachts for sale in the UK.
These particulars have been prepared in good faith from information provided by the Vendors and are intended as a guide, Wooden Ships cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The Purchaser should instruct his agent or surveyor to validate all details as necessary and satisfy himself with the condition of the vessel and its equipment.